Tapenade is traditionally a caper-olive paste. Adding roasted vegetables not only makes it more attractive but also lighter and more delicious.
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: Not Available
Broiling Time: 20 minutes
Servings: About 2 cups (500 mL)
- 1 Ontario Greenhouse Sweet Red Pepper, seeded and quartered
- 8 oz (250 g) Ontario Mushrooms, halved
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- 1 Ontario Onion (unpeeled), halved
- 2 cloves Ontario Garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) stuffed green olives
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh basil or parsley
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Whole wheat pita triangles or low-fat crackers
Toss red pepper pieces and mushrooms with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil. Place red pepper, mushrooms and onion on baking sheet with onion and pepper cut side down. Broil on middle rack for about 20 minutes or until skins are blackened. Let cool for 5 minutes. Peel red pepper and onion, discarding skins. Cut red pepper and onion into chunks.
Place roasted vegetables, garlic, olives, remaining oil and vinegar in food processor; process until finely chopped but not puréed. Place in bowl; stir in basil, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Chill until ready to serve on pita triangles.