Use a selection of mushrooms now available in most stores to provide a unique flavour: shiitake, oyster and crimini combine well with white button mushrooms. If fresh herbs are available, use them for added taste. If using shiitake mushrooms, discard stems. This side dish can easily be transformed into a main meal by tossing the mushrooms with pasta and cheese.
Preparation Time: 8 Minutes
Cooking Time: 6 Minutes
- 1 lb (500 g) mixed Ontario Mushrooms
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 cloves Ontario Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each dried thyme and rosemary
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
Halve or quarter mushrooms depending on size. In large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil with garlic, thyme and rosemary for 30 seconds. Stir in mushrooms; sauté for 5 minutes. Add vinegar, salt and pepper; cook for 1 minute.