Serve this colourful and healthy chili with cornbread or crusty whole-wheat baguette.
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 35 Minutes
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 Ontario Onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb (250 g) Ontario Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Ontario Greenhouse Red Pepper, cut into 1-inch (5 cm) picees
- 1 clove Ontario Garlic, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch (5 cm) slices
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) hot pepper sauce
- 1 - 28 oz (796 mL) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 - 19 oz (540 mL) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper
- shredded Ontario Cheddar cheese
Heat oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, mushrooms, red pepper, garlic and zucchini and cook until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Stir chili powder into vegetables then add hot sauce, tomatoes and kidney beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer about 30 minutes, striring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper and sprinkle each serving with cheese.