Prepare this satisfying and nourishing, meal-in-a-bowl to celebrate Chinese New Year. It is a spoon and chopsticks (or fork) dish that is easy to prepare and the ingredients are readily available at your supermarket.
Preparation Time: 13 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
- 12 oz (375 g) stir-fry beef strips
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) cornstarch
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) naturally brewed soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely minced gingerroot
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz (250 g) 1/4 inch (5 mm) wide rice noodles
- 3 cups (750 mL) sodium-reduced beef stock
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) oyster-flavoured sauce
- 2 cups (500 mL) thinly sliced Ontario Cabbage
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced Ontario White Button or Crimini Mushrooms
- 3 Ontario Carrots, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) red wine vinegar
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
Sn bowl, combine beef, 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the cornstarch, the soy sauce, ginger and garlic; set aside. In heatproof bowl, cover rice noodles with boiling water; soak for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and divide among serving bowls.
In large saucepan or wok, bring stock and oyster flavoured sauce to boil. Stir in beef; reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Add cabbage, mushrooms and carrots; return to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes. Add corn; increase heat to high and bring to boil.
In small bowl, whisk remaining cornstarch with 2 tbsp (25 mL) water; stir into saucepan and simmer for 2 minutes or until glossy and slightly thickened and vegetables are tender. Stir in vinegar. Ladle soup over noodles; sprinkle with green onions.
Tip: You can substitute 8 oz (250 g) spaghetti for the rice noodles, cooking according to package directions.